THE opportunity to purchase your very own slice of the past has just arisen, with Cambalong House coming on the market, having been lived in by the original pioneer family for six generations.
The house was built in 1882 for the son of Captain Ronald Campbell on the 20,000 acres the Captain selected in 1834. This was shortly after he arrived in Sydney in 1833 in charge of convicts and a detachment of the 4th Infantry on the convict ship ‘John’.
He subsequently sold his commission and travelled south from Sydney with another selector, together bringing assigned convict servants and livestock in search of unselected land to make a future home.
It is the second homestead on the property Cambalong, originally known as Bombalo Station. Cambalong being a property on the northern boundary purchased later from the Ben Boyd Estate.
The Captain’s son, the second Ronald, married Elizabeth Cunningham of Lanyon in the ACT; they had the house built for their growing family of nine children.
Designed by the architects Hilly & Lough and built by Thos. Moore, it is double brick construction, the bricks having been made on the property.
In those days houses like this had to be self sufficient, so in effect it was a little self contained village catering to the family and the station workforce, with single purposed outbuildings for blacksmithing, carpentry, butchery and stabling.
The house has been modernised to be a comfortable family home by the present generation, but still retains key original features of life in the Victorian era.