Ray Hadley's wife withdraws apprehended violence order application

The wife of prominent broadcaster Ray Hadley has withdrawn her apprehended violence order application against her husband 24 hours after she first went to police.

Suzanne Hadley, 48, went to Hornsby police station on Thursday afternoon and spoke to officers. That discussion prompted police to apply for an AVO against the 2GB host.

But on Friday afternoon, police said that, following further discussion with Mrs Hadley, the application would be withdrawn.

"Late this afternoon, police had further contact with the woman and as a result NSW Police will no longer be pursuing the application for an AVO," a NSW Police statement said.

Another application had been lodged against Hadley's son Daniel, a 24-year-old police officer stationed at St Marys. Police said the application was never served on Constable Hadley and had now also been withdrawn.

Both applications had been lodged by Detective Sergeant David Fairclough, of the Kuring-Gai police, on Suzanne's behalf.

Hadley and his son had been due to appear at Hornsby Local Court on March 4.

Hadley, who is also a Daily Telegraph columnist, did not arrive for work on Friday morning.

An email was sent to 2GB staff at 7.30pm on Thursday saying: "Ray is unwell. Luke Grant will host mornings tomorrow."

A colleague of Hadley said it was "extremely rare" for the radio host to miss a show.

Hadley's boss, the managing director of Macquarie Radio Network Rob Loewenthal, said he was unaware of the allegations and would not discuss them.

Mr Loewenthal added: "Anyone who listens to 2GB would know that this station and its presenters have no tolerance for domestic violence and have campaigned to raise awareness about the issue."

The Hadleys have been married for 20 years. They announced their separation in February 2011 but reconciled a short time later.

"He got angry because probably of his workload and probably because he wanted everything to be perfect," Suzanne Hadley told ABC's Australian Story program on her husband in 2013.

"But he got angry about something, and I just, just couldn't, I just couldn't deal with it any more. So I left and moved somewhere else with the children."

Hadley told the program that, since the couple had reconciled, he had been putting more effort into his family life.

"I think to a certain extent that I'm a bit of a dinosaur and I'm viewed that way by many people that I still blow up occasionally, sometimes inappropriately," he said.

Hadley, who is known to his colleagues as "the people's champion", has angrily condemned violence, speaking passionately about the coward punch manslaughter of 18-year-old Thomas Kelly in Sydney's Kings Cross in July 2012.

Hadley's personal website states: "In 2002, Hadley was awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) in the Queen's Birthday Honours List for service to rugby league as a broadcaster, and to the community, particularly through fundraising for charitable organisations."

The apprehended violence claims come less than a month after Hadley personally settled for an undisclosed amount over allegations that he bullied and threatened a 2GB colleague, the digital producer Richard Palmer.

It also follows a series of reports by Fairfax Media over the past year detailing allegations that Hadley bullied, threatened and harassed current and former colleagues at the radio station.

It is not the first time Hadley and his son have faced allegations of violence.

In September 2012, police launched an investigation into events at a party at Hadley's home after a teenager made a complaint against the broadcaster and his son.

The boy admitted he was "heavily intoxicated" but said he was assaulted by both men while attending the party being hosted by Hadley's daughter.

The allegations were immediately dismissed by Hadley. The radio host said at the time that he did have to "escort" the 17-year-old off his property but at no time was the boy attacked by anyone.

It is understood that police were told the teenager might have been responsible for property damage at the Hadley house.

In January 2013, Hadley announced he and Daniel had been cleared of any wrongdoing and said he wanted the teenager to apologise to him and for his parents to foot the bill for the damage the boy did to the family home at the year 12 after-party.

Asked about her allegations, Suzanne Hadley told Fairfax Media: "I have no comment. Thank you."

Hadley has been contacted for comment.

A lawyer acting for Ray and Suzanne Hadley will make a statement before 7pm.

The story Ray Hadley's wife withdraws apprehended violence order application first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop