Police say the "horrible" discovery of the body of a man who died in a mysterious fall at a construction site in St Leonards on Saturday morning was made by his brother.
Police do not know what caused the man, who they are not identifying at this time to fall, but the death was not believed to be suspicious and was being treated as misadventure.
"We believe that he fell from a height of at least five metres, but we can't be sure," a police spokeswoman said.
Harbourside police Inspector Craig Thorpe said the man was in NSW visiting his brother.
"He had no association with the building site and was there unlawfully," Inspector Thorpe said.
"He was in NSW visiting his brother and it was his brother that found his body.
"Crime scene investigators have been on the scene today and we will also be doing a toxicology report."
Inspector Thorpe said police had ruled out any link between the death and a recent conflict between the construction company operating the site, the Ralan Group, and the Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union, which had led to protest action.
"We believe that he slipped and fell either from the first or the second floor of a building under construction.
"But we're not sure exactly what happened, investigations are ongoing.
"He had not been there long when his brother found him.
"The construction site is quite well fenced off so it was a deliberate act to enter it."
But union officials said they had complained about gaps in the perimeter fencing around a building site in Crows Nest.
The death, the second on a northern suburbs' building site in two years, has highlighted the need for more secure perimeters, said the Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union branch secretary Brian Parker.
In 2012, a man reportedly skylarking on a crane in Manly fell 45 metres to his death.
Mr Parker said the union had already warned that the fencing around the Ralan site in Clarke Lane, could be breached. He said there were gaps in the fencing, and there were no signs warning the public to stay out.
The union said it had photos of the site showing the 34 year old Victorian man who fell a reported five metres on Saturday morning could have have accessed the site from numerous places.
“Securing building sites is a big issue that we have been consistently lobbying and talking about. They need to be secure, and they need to be tight, because young people today watch all sorts of thrillseeking videos.”
A report would be prepared for the coroner.
The story Man dies after falling at St Leonards construction site first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.