Two staff members are being treated for burns after a gas explosion in the kitchen of a cafe in Sydney's CBD.
A NSW Fire and Rescue spokesperson said the injured man and woman suffered flash burns to their faces and arms in the explosion caused by a stove at The Gardens cafe on George Street, near Bridge Street, at 11.15am Monday.
Witnesses said they heard a loud pop followed by screams.
The pair were treated at the scene by paramedics and taken to St Vincent's Hospital where they are in a stable condition.
Jemma Castaneda, the manager of the neighbouring Lindt Cafe, said she was frightened by the explosion.
“It’s boom. It’s loud. It’s gas or something,” she said. “It’s like boom in the kitchen."
The cafe at the base of the George Street building opened its doors for business only about three weeks ago.
Harry Chen, who works at the Thai Tree restaurant next to the cafe, said he heard a "big bomb" and saw injured workers leaving the area.
"I saw one young lady was burnt a bit but she was still walking," he said.
Fire and Rescue NSW acting Superintendent Josh Turner said a gas build-up in an oven caused the explosion.
The fire itself only lasted a moment, as it self-extinguished in the intensity of the explosion.
“It literally blows itself out,” he said.
“As it exploded and there was fire and heat, [staff members] were burnt as it flashed past them,” acting Superintendent Turner said.
“They are what would have been considered minor to superficial burns at the time but burns can be a lot more intense and embedded than initial indications.”
The building did not sustain much damage and the surrounding area is now safe.
An exclusion zone was set up but NSW Fire and Rescue declared the area safe just after midday.
Two of the four northbound lanes on George Street were closed as emergency crews arrived but all four have now reopened.