Galloping Greens win in a canter but tougher battle lies ahead in Shute Shield

Randwick did not earn any points for glamour and flair in how they beat Parramatta in their Shute Shield away clash on Saturday.

But they got the points that mattered, beating Parramatta 15-5 in the round-eight fixture at Parramatta's home ground of Merrylands RSL Rugby Park - those that made up their winning scoreline - to leapfrog over the Two Blues into sixth place on the ladder.

Both sides knew what was at stake before the game with Parramatta in sixth and Randwick seventh and just one point behind. It may have influenced the flurry of errors that marred the game.

But the laurels went to the Galloping Greens, who next Saturday will host their local derby against Eastern Suburbs at Coogee Oval.

''It was good to come away with the points, but we are looking forward to the big game next week against Easts,'' said Randwick loosehead prop Toa Asa, who scored their first try in the 24th minute to put them up 7-5 after fullback Liam Windon's conversion.

Despite Randwick being in control for most of the game, Parramatta started with dazzling intent, rather than the scrambled chase for points with which they finished the game. After leading 7-5 at half-time, Randwick gained ascendancy as their passes - so errant in the first half - started to stick and their possession rate rose.

The visitors were rewarded for it with winger Nathan Roye's unconverted try in the 43rd minute extending the scoreline to 12-5.

Parramatta tried to crack Randwick's defence with a mix of kicking, midfield running plays and some daring cut-out passing, but all too often errors spoiled their chances.

And what hope Parramatta had left narrowed drastically when Windon potted a penalty in the 73rd minute to put Randwick 15-5 up and the game out of reach in such a low-scoring affair

Parramatta may have initially rued losing new recruit Taqele Naiyaravoro to the Waratahs bench for Sunday's Super Rugby game against the Lions.

But at first the Two Blues looked like having covered the loss, as from the kick-off their attack seemingly stunned Randwick, who spent most of the first half deep in their own territory defending.

Parramatta were first to score, with their array of attacking runs and interplay paying dividends with a try in the fifth minute.

It left them 5-0 up after the missed attempt at conversion.

It was a brilliant try, sparked by their intuitive No.10 Sam Yakopo passing to reserve outside breakaway Sililo Savea who offloaded to No.6 and captain Andrew Cox. He passed to No.8 Rodney Ma'a who in turn passed to Cox. The captain ran wide and scored near the corner.

Randwick's try by Asa in the 24th minute came on their first incursion into Parramatta's 22-metres off set-piece. When converted by Windon, it put the Wicks up 7-5.

The score may have widened in Randwick's favour before half-time were it not for poor decisions and ball handling, or had Parramatta's defence not remained as solid as it did. But Randwick still knew the game was there for the taking - as they showed in the second half.

This story Galloping Greens win in a canter but tougher battle lies ahead in Shute Shield first appeared on The Sydney Morning Herald.