Accessing healthcare in our community sometimes involves travelling long distances. Many people do this unaware they may be entitled to compensation to assist with the cost of transport.
Isolated Patients Travel and Accommodation Assistance Scheme (IPTAAS) is a NSW Government initiative, providing financial assistance towards travel and accommodation costs for patients needing to travel long distances for specialist medical treatment that is not available locally.
IPTAAS provides subsidies for private vehicle travel, public transport (trains, buses and taxis), air travel (in special circumstances) and accommodation. In some circumstances they may reimburse the cost of having someone to support you during your travel.
• you must be a resident of NSW
• hold a Medicare card
• live more than 100km from the nearest treating specialist
• your combined trips to and from the specialist exceed 200kms/week
• you are not be eligible for any other government travel assistance schemes
• you are not be claiming expenses under Workers Compensation
• you do not hold a gold Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) card
Claim forms can accessed by visiting the IPTAAS website at www.iptaas.health.nsw.gov.au, or calling IPTAAS office on 1800 478 227. For repeat trips, a travel diary can be accessed from the website. Claim forms must be signed by the health care professional, so ensure that you take them with you before you travel.